Friday, February 16, 2007

Juxtaposition


I decided to redecorate today, to reflect what is growing on in the garden. I feel the sap beginning to rise; the weather has been unbelievably beautiful, flowers are blooming in the planters I put together this winter, and I’m looking forward to a three-day weekend with more then a little pleasure.

I’m having one of my rare emotional days- tears & smiles are battling over my countenance. I sat this morning, reading the local newspaper; the first article was covering the Mass of Christian Burial for the young man who died in the car accident I wrote about in “Too young, too soon”. You should read the article here- the tribute to Mike Ucci was so life affirming; the tears came when I read young Bret, the driver of the car, attended the service. I respect the courage & strength he has shown- he will need it in the years ahead.

I can’t help but ponder the fragility of life, and how we never know what each day will bring. You see, we are commemorating an anniversary in our family: six years ago today, Sam was struck by a car while riding his bicycle to school. Someday, I’ll share that story, a living illustration of God’s grace and mercy towards us; but today, I just can’t- the memories are too close and painful to focus on right now. I am simply overwhelmed with gratitude that my child was spared, and sadness for the Ucci Family, burying their son today. I look at Sam, tall, straight, and whole; he is full of life and dreams, plans and schemes, and I am thankful for having another day with him. Tonight, we’re going out to dinner to celebrate the boy who lived and will honor the boy who didn’t.

 

No comments: