Sunday, October 08, 2006

And while I wait...

I'm sitting here, waiting for my boss to e-mail me. We have a training day tomorrow, & each department is suppose to present a skit on "A day in the life of the xxx Department". We (meaning I) came up with the theme of the Accounting Dept as the "Airline of the Organization"; she was going to write the script outline & I would fill in my part. We made this arrangement on Friday afternoon; now, it's 7:30 on Sunday evening & I'm still waiting. Unfortunately, this does not surprise me. I'm trying not to stress over it- I mean, it's just a skit & the other people aren't really going to care what we have to say. I'm just annoyed, because I don't like leaving things until the last moment, & that seems to be her "modus operandi". I can be cute, funny & entertaining, but only with a 3 hour lead time, & I really didn't want to try to do this 45 minutes before we start.
It's been a rather uneventful weekend, but in a good way. Friday evening was the 18th annual Wine Stroll, which is a fairly large event put on by the Chamber of Commerce. Five blocks of our historic Downtown area are blocked off to traffic & the merchants serve wine from local wineries, sparkling cider for designated drivers & appetizers, while live music plays outside. While our office was participating, I wasn't needed to help out this year, so I went to the knitting shop for a while, until Chris got off work & came down. We strolled a bit, trying a few wines & snacking, & poking around in the various shops. We found two prints of cats that looked very much like Poppy & Dahlia, so Chris bought them to put in the study, then we headed home.
Saturday, I had to go into work for a few hours, to try & stay on top of closing. It is a never ending cycle, but this month is a little more challenging. Both of the other people in my dept are taking vacation this month- one this week & the other next week- & I'm in the midst of ending an annual project with a strict deadline of October 31st. So, it looks like I'll be putting in Saturday hours for a while. Any way, the boys went off to an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast put on at the new firestation, & I worked for 3 hours, then headed to Michael's. I was planning on picking up some things to make a scarecrow, but found a reasonably cute one- ready-made - for $5.00, so I bought that & saved myself the work! I also picked up some more yarn for clogs; I'm going to try out Paton Classic Wool Merino & SWS Soy/Wool blend- the labels say they are feltable (though a friend said someone told her it wasn't) & they are less expensive then Cascade. I finished the second pair for Sam, but haven't felted them yet; I also finished the baby sweater for my boss' future grandbaby & just need to put in the zipper. I'll post some pictures later this week.
Today, I played hooky from church. We slept in until almost 9:00, then headed over to Walmart for cat food & school supplies. I found an inexpensive plush throw for the cats; I have a nice down-filled blanket they all love kneading & curling up in, so I figured if I wanted mine back, I'd find them one of their own. So far, they are just circling it, but once I wash it & sit on it a bit, I'm sure they will like it. Then, I headed over to a friend's house for a "Harvest Knit-In" party. She made a wonderful pumpkin soup, with fresh bread & assorted appetizers. One of the ladies made a Pumpkin/Pecan cobbler & another brought Lemon Meringue pie, so there was no shortage of goodies. The weather has been lovely, so the house was opened up & a nice breeze blew through. Her home is very welcoming, & Shann is a gracious hostess, who is very proud of her Halloween Village, which is set up all around the house. About 10 of us talked, knitted & ate, & began making some preliminary plans for a knitters' retreat sometime in January, after the holiday crush is over. I headed home around 4:00 & have just been hanging around, reading the Sunday paper & watching my favorite British comedies.
Well, there is the email I've been waiting for, so I best get to work on my script. Have a great Monday!

4 comments:

Stefaneener said...

An evening out with knitting friends sounds lovely! Good for you.

Tulabell said...

That sounds like fun! Since I've moved the main office a year ago, life in our office is very mundane and no one seems to care about employee activities. I miss working for the region.

Mmmm pumpkin soup! I just love this time of year!

Tulabell said...

I just copied and pasted the HTML code from the widget I made from my online photo album at photobucket.com, simple really.

Charity said...

Sounds like a great weekend! I really like the Patons Merino, but haven't gotten my hands on the SWS yet :0)