Monday, April 07, 2008

Confessions of a Not-So-Superwoman



Thank you all for the solicitous & sympathetic wishes sent my way this past week; I am healing- slower than I would like, but probably quicker than is warranted, given the type of injury & my inability to remember for the umpteenth time that I cannot move my arm “like that” just yet. The bruising has faded considerably- instead of resembling a psychedelic Easter egg, my arm now looks like it just needs a good scrubbing after working in the garden. My normal range of motion was roughly 150°, & a day after falling it was about 50°; I can now bend it about 95° without pain, though lifting things is still a challenge.

Being a functional invalid has its perks as well as some disadvantages- & not just for me. Sam finally passed his written driver’s test (it took 3 tries & he ended up missing the max allowed- kept second guessing himself), so he is now the proud holder of a California Learner’s Permit. This is a new experience for me (someday, I’ll tell you about Jessica’s “shortcut” to her license- I have yet to drive in a car with her :-p), but those of you who have traveled this road will be familiar with the drill: anytime we need to go somewhere, anytime I pick up my keys to unlock the shed, anytime time I even walk by the basket containing my keys or near the front door, he jumps up & cries “I’ll drive!” Fortunately for Sam, I am perfectly content for him to be my chauffer- I learned quickly that reaching back to put on my seatbelt is one of those automatic movements that makes my elbow scream.

Here are a few of the things I’ve learned during my tenure as a one-armed woman:

 

1.  There are many concerned, well-meaning, nosy people in my life

2.  Yes, I can get tired of talking about myself (at least in regards to being injured)

3.  I am responsible for entirely too much lifting & toting in my very white collar job

4.  Getting dressed employs more flexibility, muscle groups, & force than expected

5.  Putting an Ace bandage on your own arm is virtually impossible

6.  When the doctor says I shouldn’t lift anything over 5 pounds, he is correct (as witnessed by the lump on Dahlia’s head)

7.  Cats make very efficient (& forgiving) heating pads

8.  There is a limit to the number of items my husband will return for on one trip up or down the stairs (three)

9.     My son is very secure in his masculinity- he carried my pink & white backpack, with the huge “American Princess” patch on it, all over DC without batting an eye

 

Pampering is all well & good, but I am ready to get my routine back to normal; this is my weekend at Ravenswood (I still owe you all the second installment *sigh*) & I've been invited to an all-day scrapbook crop event on Saturday (I’ve got to make a dent in that stack of pictures). Independence is calling!

5 comments:

Dana said...

I am so glad to know you are healing, albeit slowly.

Your son rocks! (re: #9)

Lisa said...

I wonder what the chicken was on when it laid the psychedelic easter egg? ;) You are far too busy to still be nursing that terrible injury (not that it should happen to anyone). I'm glad to hear you're on the mend! More healing prayers coming your way from me! And for Dahlia, too. ;)

The Burp Cloth Babe said...

Happy healing! Milk this for all it's worth. Though it's annoying, think of it as a long vacation for your arm! The rest of your body will be jealous! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Meg....

Just to ease your mind (even though I thought it might be serious fun to leave you wondering if you WERE crazy or not... hehehe) the banner pic DOES change every time you come in. Right now there are five pics in it and they randomly load each time the page is opened. Cool huh? ;o)

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

We're on our third teenager learning to drive. She took the test and failed so we're not quite over the hurdle yet. One more kid left to teach after this one.
Hold on tight with your good arm!
:)
Cathy