Monday, April 13, 2009

High time for some good stuff

As part of our "Let's make certain we are connected before the last child moves out" program, Chris & I have been going out walking in the evenings, both for exercise & for talking the day over (of course, there isn't alot of talking going on in my case- he walks so much faster then I do, I don't have enough breath to walk and talk), & scouting out some local easy hikes to do on the weekends.

Last Sunday, we played hooky from church & headed over to Black Diamond Mines Regional Preserve; it was a beautiful, real Spring day, warm enough for just a light sweater & cool enough to hike comfortably. We toured the former coal & silica mines, abandoned since the late 1940's- it would be a great place to hang out in the heat of summer, since it never gets over 62 degrees inside.

 


 


 


 


 


 


 

Then it was off on a "gentle" trek up to the ridge, with the plan of coming down through Rose Hill Cemetery; my dear husband slightly miscalculated our fitness level, as well as the route & distance to the cemetery, so we called it a journey about halfway there & went back to the valley floor in search of lunch.

 


 


 


 


 

We're already scouting out the next hike in a couple weeks (if the weather cooperates), possibly back to Tilden Park (where we went back in January), Sunol Regional Wilderness (near the ranch where Chris works occationally), or up to Mount Diablo for the wildflowers.

9 comments:

BEK said...

So good to hear some good news! Reconnecting/connecting is such an important part of a marriage relationship. Playing hooky is fun too :) Thank you for sharing such beautiful photos!

Becca said...

So glad to hear happy news from you and that you get to spend some quality time with your husband. Beautiful pictures!

Jane! said...

Lucky you! Here it is snowing still/again. I should print your pictures and plaster them over my windows. Love that flower! Sigh!

mitchowl said...

That looks so fun! It really put me in the mood to hike. No hiking here for a while, though. Currently it is once again snowing hard.

Amy's Blah, Blah, Blogging said...

Oh, that looks like a wonderful day spent together! Going to a mine would be such fun too!

I think it's great to have these times of getting to know each other again, and in a new way. Great for your relationship!

Junie Moon said...

What a lovely hike and your next outings sound nice as well. I really need to walk more as just going to the mailbox wears me out. You've inspired me to consider a short hike this coming Sunday at the national park near our house.

Lisa said...

Looks like you and hubby have a good start on connecting - the mine tour looks like a lot of fun!

Lena said...

I'm trying to be outside, and walk a little more lately too. I find that taking my camera along is making it enjoyable, and also makes me really take time to look at things. It feels much less like "exercise" that way.

I love your outdoor pictures. They're just lovely. Unfortunately, I'm claustrophobic. I'd never be able to tolerate the inside of the mine. Maybe for a few moments, at best, but it does look interesting.

Thank you Meg, for your sweet birthday thoughts. I appreciate them.

Shari from Big Yellow Farmhouse said...

That mine tour looks absolutely fascinating . . . and a bit scary, too. I'm also claustrophobic and usually avoid caves and such, afraid I might have to go thru a small passageway in a crowd of people.

What a pretty place for a hike. Nothing like getting outside to boost the spirit!